Chairman of Farnworth Urban District Council: 1909-12 (Conservative)
Born: Radcliffe, Lancashire 1857
Educated: Bury Grammar School;
New Veterinary College Edinburgh
Veterinary Surgeon in Farnworth.
Son of George Whittaker, a Radcliffe farmer.
After qualifying he was assistant to a Mr Lewis of Crewe. He came to Farnworth in about 1881, his father buying the practice of Benjamin Bowker of Bridgewater Street. Later he moved to Longcauseway and then Cheapside House opposite Holland's School. For 30 years though, he carried on his surgery from his house in Rawson Street, which was fitted up with a three stall stable. For many years he also owned a smithy and forge behind the Queen's Hotel. He also had an extensive practice in Radcliffe. A great lover of animals he was rarely seen without his dog, which was almost as much a friend to the children of the neighbourhood.
Represented North East Ward from 1898 and served for 21 years until 1919 when he was defeated by the Rev John Wilcockson.
His Chairmanship of the Council included the Coronation year of King George V and he lead the festivities in Farnworth.
Chairman of the Streets Committee.
He was a lifelong member of the Farnworth Conservative Club and was on the Committee for 40 years.
He was a Freemason.
Anglican - he attended St John's Parish Church and was a former Sidesman and Warden.
He married 3 times. His first wife, Maria Bridge, was the daughter of his first employer. His second wife was Mrs Joseph Bowker (née Emily Taylor) and his third wife was Martha Crawshaw, his wife's housekeeper for many years.
He had, by his first wife, a son who became a Roman Catholic Priest in Rangoon.