John William Watkinson
Chairman of Kearsley Local Board: 1882-95
Born: Stanningley, Pudsey, Yorkshire 31 August 1832
Died: 23 May 1905
Chemist and druggist.
After leaving school he worked with his father, a millwright and engineer, for nine months. He was then apprenticed to his uncle, a chemist and druggist at Cleckheaton. He moved to his own premises in Market Street, Kearsley when he married in 1857.
He was first elected to the Local Board in 1872 and appointed an Overseer in 1875.
He was instrumental in getting Halshaw Lane paved, sewered and channelled.
He was originally a Methodist but later became a Congregationalist, attending Market Street Congregational Church and becoming a Deacon.
"He is noted for the great amount of common sense that he brings to bear upon all matters." (Farnworth Journal 15 July 1882)