Chairman of Horwich Urban District Council: 1937-38, 1950-51*, 1961-62 (Conservative)
Born: Stalybridge, Cheshire/Lancashire 17 June 1897
Died: 20 January 1973
Educated: The Old Boys School, Horwich
Worked as a Chargehand Fitter in the Erecting Shop, Horwich Loco Works and later as a Chargehand Welder.
First came to live in Horwich in 1899.
Represented East Ward 1932-1965.
Chairman of the Finance and Electricity Committees.
Chairman of the Highways Committee for 30 years (Streets Committee).
Chairman of Horwich National savings Committee, Chairman of Horwich Amateur Football Club and Chairman of Horwich Old Boys Association.
Thought in 1950 that Council should build more bungalows for the old folk and the town needed "brightening up" with an improved bus service.
Instigated Old Lord Estate Allotments and Band Concerts in Ridgmont Park.
Chairman of Horwich Conservative Club and Chairman of the Political Purposes Committee.
He was also a boxer in his youth, becoming Lightweight Champion of Northern England. He became an instructor in boxing and physical training at the Horwich RMI Gymnasium.
Anglican - he was Churchwarden at Horwich Parish Church 1946-50 and was a founder member of the Men's Society there.
*He also temporarily took over the duties of Chairman at the end of 1951 when his successor, William Lawson Whitehead, died in office.