Chairman of Kearsley Urban District Council: 1931-32, 1943-44
Born: Kearsley c. 1877
Died: Farnworth 1958
Director of E & S Street Ltd, Joiners and Builders, Bolton Road, Kearsley. For 16 years he was a Technical Instructor at Manchester, Bolton and Ashton and was Chief Plumbing and Sanitary teacher at Bolton.
During the First World War he played a leading part in the construction of one of the largest explosive manufacturing works in Lancashire.
Elected to Kearsley Council in 1923.
He was Chairman of Sanitary, Streets, Lighting and General Purposes Committee.
He was the first Chairman of the Parks Committee and was largely instrumental in the provision of the first public bowling green in Kearsley. He also instigated the planting of trees on the main road.
When he was appointed Council Chairman in 1943 it was to mark his 'coming if age' in Municipal affairs.
He retired in 1947 after 24 years service.
He played football for Kearsley Alliance, Kearsley Wesleyans and Kearsley Amateurs and once had a trial at Burnden Park for Bolton Wanderers Reserves against Blackburn Rovers Reserves.
He was a well known cyclist in his youth, winning several prizes including the mile and half mile championships of Farnworth and District. He was also a member of Kearsley Cricket Club.
Wesleyan Methodist - he worshipped at Kearsley Mount Wesleyan Church where his family had a long connection. He was a Treasurer of the Chapel at one time.