Chairman of Farnworth Urban District Council: 1934-36 (Labour)
Mayor of Farnworth: 1940-41 (Labour)
Born: Farnworth 1887
Died: 7 Tulip Avenue, Farnworth 7 May 1963
He had 52 years service with Farnworth and Kearsley Co-operative Society and was also Secretary of the Farnworth branch of the National Union of Distributive and Allied Workers for 14 years.
Known as "Genial Jim Stevenson" he was a Labour supporter for 40 years and was closely associated with Harry Barnes, Alfred Jones and George Tomlinson in the ILP movement.
First Elected to Farnworth UDC in 1921 for one year and re-elected in 1926.
He served on the Council for 38 years, including 24 years as an Alderman
He was a Magistrate for 23 years, retiring aged 75.
He was made a Freeman of the Municipal Borough of Farnworth on 21 September 1961. The presentation was made by the then Mayor, Herbert Brindle. The honour was paid in connection with the 21st anniversary celebrations of the granting of the Charter of Incorporation.
He was Chairman of the most Committees and represented the Council on the Education and Higher Education Committees for 10 years. He was also a Governor of Farnworth Grammar School.
He was a former Chairman of the local Labour Party and was made a life member in 1958.
He was a delegate to the Trades Council for several years and a member of the South Lancashire Federation of NUDAW branches. His trade union service was recognised by the presentation to him of a long service certificate and gold medal.
In his earlier days he was in the choir at Dixon Green Congregational Church, at St John the Baptist Church, Little Hulton (following his marriage there) and subsequently at St Thomas's Church.
He captained Farnworth Co-op team in the Manchester Wednesday Cricket League for many years and held a championship medal. He was also a member of Ellesmere Park Bowling Club.
His son, Herbert Stevenson, worked for Worsley Town Council.
| Photograph of James Stevenson as Mayor of Farnworth in Farnworth Council Chamber c. 1940.
Deputy Mayor Rev John Wilcockson and wife stand at the right of the photograph.
Click for larger image
| James Stevenson (left) and Dr Victor St Clair Lucas (right) receiving the Freedom of the Borough from Herbert Brindle, Mayor of Farnworth on 21 September 1961.
Click for larger image