Chairman of Farnworth Urban District Council: 1906-09 (Conservative)
Born: Morris Green, Middle Hulton, Bolton 1861
Died: 5 September 1933
Educated: St John's School, Farnworth; Bolton Church Institute
Land agent, clerk and coal salesman for the Earl of Bradford. In the service of three Earls of Bradford for 40 years. He lived at Tig Fold Farm, Farnworth.
With the exception of 18 months in Bolton, he spent practically all his life in Farnworth.
He became interested in Council affairs when the old Local Board became the Urban District Council. He lost his seat in 1920 when the local Labour party swept the decks, winning every seat.
He served on every Committee except the Streets and Hospital Committees. Chairman of the Finance Committee and an acknowledged authority on local government finances. Chairman of the Parks Committee in the same year as the Jubilee of the park.
As Chairman of the Fire Brigade Committee he opened Albert Road Fire Station on July 23 1914 and was presented with a gold key. Council firemen also gave him a gold chain and inscribed medal as a memento of their appreciation of his services.
In 1916 he was presented with a gold inscribed watch by fellow Councillors and friends in recognition of his 21 years service.
He opened Farnworth Town Hall on March 30 1909 and was presented with a key.)
He cut the first sod on the recreation ground in Harrowby Street on April 10 1907 and was presented with a spade.
When Chairman of the Council he served on the Lancashire Executive of the Urban District Councils Association.
He was Chairman of the Old Age Pensions Committee and during the First World War was a member of the local Military Tribunal Recruiting Committee.
He was a keen sportsman and played cricket as a young man with St John's and took an active interest in Farnworth Cricket Club. He was also a past President of the Swimming Club and a member of Doe Hey Bowling Club, but had to give up bowls on medical advice.
He was the oldest member and a Trustee of Plodder Lane Conservative Club where there is a plaque with his name.
Member of West Lancashire Territorial Association.
Freemason - member of the Earl Ellesmere Lodge, No.678.
He was an Anglican and attended St John's Church and was also connected with St James's Church, New Bury and St George's Mission Church, Plodder Lane. He was a Sunday School teacher at St John's for 20 years and allowed churches the use of a field for Whitsuntide festivities.
His funeral and burial took place at St James's Church, New Bury and there was also a Masonic service.
His obituary said that he "always showed an earnest desire to do the greatest good for the greatest number."