Chairman of Westhoughton Urban District Council: 1932-33 (Conservative)
Born: Four Lane Ends, Over Hulton c. 1876
Educated: Four Lane Ends Mission Day School, Over Hulton
Son of James Shaw, the village blacksmith at Four Lane Ends.
Master painter. Known (and Christened) as Harry, he served his apprenticeship with an Atherton firm.
During the First World War he served as a painter at Queensferry, Lytham and Seacombe. After the War he set up his own business.
Represented Hulton Ward from 1924.
During his year of office as Chairman he won a bowling cup at a conference of Northern Local Authorities.
Anglican - he worshipped at Four Lane Ends Mission and at Deane Church where he was a Sidesman.
"He only lived in two houses, both in Four Lane Ends. When he married he lived in the house his wife was born in - the former Watch House on the old level crossing which served a mineral line which crossed Manchester Road. This lifelong association with the district equipped him with special knowledge. He was an ambassador for the area as well as a Councillor for the town."
"There is nothing spectacular about Harry Shaw. His name, by the way, is Harry not Henry. As Chairman he gave plenty of latitude to members but when rulings were called upon he gave them firmly and commanded respect. He is, though, one of the quieter members of the Council - impatient sometimes at questions about subjects which to him appear trivial." (Horwich and Westhoughton Journal 29 March 1934)