Mayor of Farnworth: 1944-45 (Conservative)
Born: Kearsley 28 January 1893
Died: January 1981
Educated: Farnworth Grammar School
Son of Ernest Seddon who ran a Grocery business at 88 Ringley Road, Kearsley.
He joined the Lancashire Fusiliers during First World War and as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Machine Gun Corps was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty 26 July 1918.
As a token of the town's appreciation for his War service he was presented with a gold watch and an illuminated address at a meeting of Kearsley Urban District Council in September 1918 by the then Chairman, James Howard.
In 1919 he went into partnership in the corn business with his father, becoming Director of two corn-milling companies.
Councillor on Farnworth UDC and Farnworth Municipal Borough Council from 1932. Alderman 1940.
Magistrate for 26 years from 1940.
He was in charge of the Auxiliary Fire Service in Farnworth at the outbreak of the Second World War - giving up his business directorships to do so - and continued to hold various positions with the National Fire Service until 1943.
Honorary Welfare Officer and Chairman of Farnworth Civil Defence Welfare Organization.
Chairman of the Governors of Farnworth Grammar School.
Vice-president of Farnworth Cricket Club, Farnworth Sunday School Football League and Darley Rowing Club.
Founder member and President of the Rotary Club of Farnworth & District 1947-48.
When he began his Mayoral year, his son, Flight Sergeant John Tyler Seddon, was a prisoner of War in Germany.
His wife, Edith, was Mayoress.