Henry Marriott Richardson
Mayor of Bolton: 1879-80 (Conservative)
Born: Tuxford, Nottinghamshire c. 1816*
Died: Chorlton, Manchester 27 September 1893
Came to Bolton in 1840 to work as a clerk for James Winder and Frederick Broadbent in Bowkers Row.
He passed his legal exams in 1847 and became an Attorney. He started his own firm but soon after took a partner, George Marsland, until 1852. He then went into partnership with R G Hinnell (who later became Town Clerk) and in 1862 expanded the firm to become Richardson, Hinnell and Richardson - the other Richardson being his brother - and later still as Richardson, Brandwood & Dowling. After the retirement of Brandwood and Dowling, he continued on his own until 1879 when it became Richardson & Marshall
Represented East Ward 1849-58 and Church Ward 1861-70.
He was originally elected in 1849 as a radical Liberal with Chartist sympathies. By 1861 he had become estranged from the Liberal Party and stood successfully as an Independent and again in 1864. In 1867 he stood as a Conservative and was rewarded by his new Party with a seat on the Aldermanic bench for Church Ward in 1871.
He was also originally an enthusiastic and leading member of Bolton Temperance Society for many years before becoming solicitor to the Licensed Victuallers Association, actively supporting the Association's candidate in an election in 1865 and "exhibiting an aversion to total abstinence principles."
Stood as a Conservative candidate in the Parliamentary Election for Bury in 1873 but withdrew before the election.
He was equally unsuccessful standing as an Independent Conservative in 1885 when also he published his own newspaper, The Bolton Standard, which included his memoirs 'Reminiscences of Forty Years In Bolton' which was later reprinted as a book.
His wife, Elizabeth, as Mayoress, held concerts in the Albert Hall to raise funds for the New Infirmary on 8 and 9 October 1880.
* His stated age varies considerably from census return to census return!