Mayor of Bolton: 1887-88 (Conservative)
Born: Back o' th' Bank, Bolton 3 November 1811
Died: Park Hill Place, Bolton 1 January 1889
Educated: Bolton Grammar School
Chemist and businessman.
He was apprenticed to a chemist and druggist in Salford, then worked in Liverpool. In the late 1830s he became an oil merchant, druggist and drysalter, retiring in 1881.
He was also director and Chairman of Bolton Gas Company prior to it being taken over by Bolton Corporation in 1871.
Alderman for East Ward from 1877 - never sat as a Councillor.
Appointed Borough Magistrate 2 February 1886.
He was Chairman of the Education Committee 1873-8.
Chairman of the Gas Committee.
He was Jubilee Mayor - marking 50 years since the incorporation of the Borough.
He was Secretary of Bolton Benevolent Society and a member of the School Board 1873-8. He was a supporter of Bolton Infirmary and Dispensary and promoted the building of the New Infirmary, donating £500 pounds towards its cost.
He was a Wesleyan Methodist, giving financial support towards the building of Park Street, Halliwell and Horwich Wesleyan Chapels. He was also a teacher at Ridgway Gates Sunday School and Superintendent of Bridge Street Sunday School. Donated considerable sums of money to church and school building funds in the area.
A plaque was dedicated to his memory at Park Street Wesleyan Chapel.
His wife, Elizabeth, was Mayoress. She was the daughter of Thomas Taylor who owned Grecian Mills in Lever Street, Bolton.