Peter Crook Marsden
Mayor of Bolton: 1878-79 (Conservative)
Born: Bolton 1838
Died: Innellan, Argyllshire, Scotland 22 October 1913
Cotton spinner - Proprietor of James Marsden & Sons, Albion Mills, Fletcher Street, Bolton.
Director of several Insurance Companies.
Son of James Marsden, late of James & Joseph Marsden Timber Merchants, who built Albion Mill No 1 in 1856 and later four other mills.
Represented Bradford Ward 1869-73. Alderman for Bradford Ward 1873-83.
Appointed Magistrate 5 April 1877.
Chairman of the Streets Committee. He was an ardent proponent of wood pavements.
Implemented the widening of Chancery Lane, Hotel Street and Mealhouse Lane and demolished 100 unfit houses in Old Acres. Oversaw the creation of Park Road and the erection of a bridge in Shaw Street.
Marsden Road in Bolton was both opened by and named after him.
He opened Little Bolton Library in the former Town Hall on 30 July 1879.
Retired from the Council in 1883.
He served on the Committee for Workshops for the Blind until his death and was a Treasurer of the Blind Worksops Institution.
He lived at Limefield, Chorley New Road, Bolton.
Wesleyan Methodist - he was a Circuit Steward and Superintendent of Park Street Wesleyan Chapel.
His wife, Margaret, was Mayoress.