Mayor of Bolton: 1873-75 (Conservative)
Born: Shaw Street, Bolton 27 May 1820
Died: Westminster Palace Hotel, London 27 April 1877
Master iron founder and kitchen range manufacturer.
Apprenticed as an Iron Moulder at W & J Rigby, Iron Founder, Bradshawgate.
He and Isaac Hodkinson took premises in Goodwin Street as a moulding shop but the partnership didn't last long and he continued on his own. He began to manufacture kitchen ranges and, as the business expanded, he took the manager Mr T Hewitt (later himself a Councillor for East Ward) into partnership. The business at Britannia Ironworks quadrupled.
In 1863 he entered into partnership with Henry Chandler & Co, Cotton Spinners, Hope Mills Folds Road.
Represented East Ward from 1857-60 and 1863-71. Alderman for East Ward 1871-77.
He was Chairman of the Streets Committee 1872-3, the Watch Committee 1874-5 and the Gas Committee 1876-7.
Magistrate 27 January 1877.
Member of Astley Bridge Local Board of Health 1864-76.
Member of the Board of Guardians.
He was a temperance campaigner and a strong opponent of opening parks and Public Houses on Sunday - the latter he would have closed down altogether.
Lived at Yew Tree, Sharples.
Methodist - he was Treasurer of St George's Road Methodist New Connection.
His wife, Anne, was Mayoress.
As Mayor and Mayoress he and his wife were presented with a miniature silver cradle on 16 December 1874 to mark the birth of their daughter, Ellen Forshaw Marsden, on 19 August 1874.
"The cradle is a magnificent specimen of design and workmanship, is of massive solid silver and is splendidly ornamented and embossed. On each end of the cradle is a shield, the one at the head bearing a representation of the Bolton Coat of Arms and that at the foot having the following inscription neatly engraved: 'Presented by members of the Council of the Borough of Bolton to Jeremiah Marsden, Esq., Mayor of the borough, and to Mrs Marsden, on the occasion of the birth of their daughter Ellen Forshaw Marsden, 19th August, 1874. The height of the cradle is six inches, eight inches in length and five inches broad. It is surrounded by a glass shade. During next week it will be on view in the windows of Messrs Monk Brothers." (Bolton Evening News 12 December 1874)