Links in a Chain - the Mayors of Bolton
Links in a Chain - The Mayors of Bolton
HomeBoltonFarnworthKearsleyLittle LeverHorwichWesthoughtonTurtonBlackrodMayoral InsigniaFreedom of BoltonCivic HeraldryBolton Town HallIndexLinksThanksContact Us

John Lawton

Chairman of Little Lever Urban District Council: 1963-64 (Conservative)

Born: Hyde, Cheshire c. 1917

Educated: St Matthew's, Little Lever; St Mary's School, Radcliffe, Lancashire.

He moved to Little Lever in 1921, where his father was a fitter at Ladyshore Colliery.

When he left school he worked for several local firms before joining the Army at the outbreak of the  Second World War. He served in the Reconnaissance Regiment and was promoted to Sergeant.

In 1947 he joined Chloride Lorival, working in the composition section and then became Stores Manager. In 1972 he received a long service certificate and said "the Lorival is a wonderful firm to work for." His own father worked there for 25 years and his mother was also employed there.
He was elected to Little Lever UDC in 1957 and served for 12 years.

Chairman of the Highways and Public Health Committee and a member of the Divisional Health Committee. He was also a delegate to the South East Lancashire Accident Prevention Committee.

He was also a member of the local Christie Cancer Committee and District Secretary of the Forces Aid Society.

Roman Catholic - He was a founder member of Little Lever's Roman Catholic Church, St Teresa of the Little Flower.

His wife Amelia, known as Millie, also worked at Lorival. When he retired from Council she took over serving on Little Lever and Bolton Metropolitan Council.

John Lawton

 

Heritage Lottery Fund Logo
Arms of Bolton Metropolitan Borough
Bolton Council
colour band