Chairman of Little Lever Urban District Council: 1932-34 (Labour)
Born: Ramsbottom c. 1885
Educated: Holy Trinity Schools, Bolton
When he was 13 he started work for the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company at Bolton. He was at various times Stationmaster at Holcombe and Greenmount, Ewood Bridge and Edenfield and by 1916 at Bradley Fold. He was Goods Agent at Moses Gate and Plodder Lane LMS yards and in 1938 moved to take up a similar post at Darwen and Springvale.
Represented West Ward from 1928, serving for 6 years.
Chairman of the Finance Committee and the Council representative on the Bolton and District Regional Town Planning Committee. He strongly urged the amalgamation of Ainsworth and Little Lever as an advantage to both districts. He thought it would be a buffer state between the County Boroughs of Bolton and Bury.
He was an active Trade Unionist and was Secretary of the Manchester and District Stationmasters and agents branch of the Railway Clerks Association since its formation in 1914. He represented the branch at conference and for several years was the stationmasters and agents representative on the LMS Regional Sectional Council, considered to be a very high honour.
He was President of Little Lever Labour Party and was Secretary of the local Labour Party Building Fund, taking a leading part in the acquisition of their premises, Hardy Hall.
On his re-election in 1933 he said that he hoped they might continue to work for the betterment of the district as harmoniously as in the past year. He also hoped that the Ministry of Health would modify the restrictions placed on local authorities, as sanction had been received for their scheme to improve the sewage works.