Mayor of Farnworth: 1959-60 (Labour)
Born: Albert Street, Farnworth 1915
Educated: St Peter's School, Farnworth and Harper Green School
Proprietor of a fish and chip shop.
When he left school he worked as a delivery boy with Farnworth and Kearsley Cooperative Society. He worked in the furnishing department there, leaving to be a groom at Taylor's riding stables, Montserrat, Bolton.
He then worked at Pilkington's at Clifton as a fireman.
He served in the Second World War with the East Lancashire Regiment, the Royal Armoured Corps and then joined the 1st Derbyshire Yeomanry as a driver mechanic in the Reconnaissance Unit with the 1st and 5th Armies.
After the War he went back to Pilkington's but in 1950 he started his own business - a fish and chip shop.
He was first elected to the Council in 1950.
He was Vice Chairman of South Ward Labour Party and Assistant Secretary of the Farnworth and Kearsley Labour Club, as well as Games Secretary, Concert Secretary, and Chairman.
His wife, Lily, was Mayoress.
He was described as "...not a talkative man but an excellent committee man who did a good job as Chairman of the House Letting Committee."