Mayor of Bolton: 1839-40 (Liberal)
Born: Bury Street, Bolton 1786
Died: Bolton 27 October 1868
Educated: Bolton Grammar School; Bank Street Unitarian School, Bolton
Businessman, philanthropist and traveller.
Father of John Heywood, Mayor of Bolton 1903-05.
He was he second Mayor of Bolton 1839-40.
Represented Church Ward 1838-44 and Bradford Ward 1851-54. Alderman for East Ward 1854-68.
The son of a successful textile manufacturer, he became a leading figure in the creation of modern Bolton. He personally initiated or was involved in the provision of reservoirs and drinking water, public baths, public parks, Bolton's first library, street lighting, Bolton Dispensary etc.
Like his friend and business partner Charles James Darbishire, Mayor of Bolton 1838-39, he was a Unitarian - a leading member of Bank Street Chapel - and a radical/reformist Liberal, but he was always willing to compromise and cooperate with political and religious opponents for the greater good and for the benefit of the people of Bolton.
He made the gift of a free recreation ground at Lever Street, Bolton on 23 October 1862 - Heywood Park, popularly known as "Bobby Heywood's Park".
In 1854 he purchased the Bowyer Bible, now on display in Bolton Museum, for £550 from the estate of John Albinson.
He travelled extensively in Europe, Russia, Canada and the USA in 1834 where he met Senator Henry Clay and President Andrew Jackson.
Although teetotal at home, he happily drank alcohol whilst travelling abroad.
There is a memorial tablet in Bank Street Chapel dedicated to him and Charles James Darbishire.
"This Tablet is erected to the Memory of two Friends
Bound by ties of Mutual regard, of common sympathies and united services In behalf of the town and the church were they worshipped."