Ebenezer Green Harwood
Mayor of Bolton: 1882-84 (Conservative)
Born: Little Lever, Bolton 1832
Died: Bolton 15 February 1902
Educated: George Lathom's School near St George's Church
Chemist and druggist.
His father was Lawrence Harwood, a Little Lever schoolmaster.
In 1846 he was apprenticed to George La French, Chemist & Druggist in Cheapside, Bolton. La French died just before the apprenticeship finished so he completed it with Thomas Wood, Chemist at same address.
In 1851 he took a job as assistant in a firm in Worcester, then at a chemist shop in Liverpool for a Mr H S Alpass. He then returned to Bolton and started his own business, once again in Cheapside.
Represented Exchange Ward 1871-74. Alderman for West Ward from 1874.
Vice-Chairman of the Watch, Scavenging & Waterworks Committees - later split into two at his suggestion. As Chairman of the new Scavenging and Sewerage Committee he was instrumental in improving Bolton's then dire refuse disposal facilities and could often be seen in times of frost supervising the work at all hours directing the efforts of the men to shift the snow.
He was a prominent Freemason, being a member of St George's Lodge and later Anchor and Hope Lodge. He was also a member St John's Royal Arch Chapter (in which he held various offices) and a member of some high Masonic Orders including the Knights Templars, the Rose Croix and the Royal Order of Scotland.
His wife, Eleanor, was Mayoress.