Chairman of Westhoughton Urban District Council: 1905-08 (Conservative)
Born: Westhoughton 11 August 1849
Died: 28 March 1924
Publican - Landlord of the White Lion Inn, Market Street, Westhoughton.
Son of James Grundy, a farmer, of Chapel Lane, Westhoughton.
Father of James Croston Grundy, Chairman of Westhoughton UDC 1942-43.
He began work as a boy in Chadwick's silk factory in Church Street, Westhoughton and continued there until it was closed down. He later becoming the licensee of the White Lion Hotel.
Represented Central Ward for 15 years.
As Chairman of Westhoughton UDC he opened Westhoughton's Carnegie Library on 24 March 1906 and was presented with a golden key, which is on display in the Westhoughton Library Exhibition Space.
He was a Director of the Westhoughton Gas Company, a manager of the Westhoughton Parochial School and a Trustee of the Westhoughton Educational Charity.
One of the founders of Westhoughton Conservative Club.
Anglican - he was one of the original bell ringers who rang the first peal at the Parish Church. He was also a chorister at the Parish Church for many years.