Chairman of Westhoughton Urban District Council: 1940-41, 1955-56, 1964-65 (Conservative)
Born: Golborne, Lancashire 31 January 1893
Died: August 1978
Worked in the textile industry.
Entered textile trade age 13 working in Golborne, then in Leigh as an Overlooker in a mill taken over by Courtauld's.
He served in the Navy in the First World War and then returned to Courtauld's where he became a Textile Technologist and Rayon Weaving Specialist. He later became a Rayon Weaving Demonstrator and travelled the world for the firm. His house in Newbrook Road was called 'Auld Court.'
He was a Fellow of the Textile Institute and served as President of the British Association of Textile Works Managers in 1950. He retired in 1968.
Represented Hulton Ward 1935-74.
He was Chairman of the Library Committee for 20 years and was also Chairman of Higher Education, Finance, General Purposes and Housing.
During the Second World War he was Chairman of Civil Defence, the British Restaurant and the Allotments Committee.
During his year as Chairman in 1940 Westhoughton Council initiated a scheme to raise money for the purchase of a Lancastria Squadron of Spitfires to avenge the sinking of the liner Lancastria. Other Urban Districts in the County took up the idea and £25,000 was raised.
Represented Westhoughton Ward on Bolton Metropolitan Borough Council 1974-76 and was a member of the Arts, Personnel and Education Committees. He retired in 1976 after 41 years service.
Before Westhoughton Council was disbanded he and Winfred Kettle were presented with silver salvers in appreciation of their service. At that time they were the only remaining pre-War members.
In 1977 Umberton Park in Over Hulton was renamed Glover Park in his honour and a plaque unveiled in his presence.
Chairman of the Managers of Pikes Lane Infant and Junior School and Haslam Park School. He was also on the Board of three schools in Farnworth. Altogether he served as a Governor Manager of seventeen different schools during his time as a Councillor.
Chairman of Westhoughton Conservative Association and a Trustee of the Conservative Club for 38 years.
He was a member of Westhoughton Rotary Club.
Anglican - he worshipped at St Andrew's, Over Hulton, where he was a member of the Church Council and the choir, a link going back 70 years.