Chairman of Blackrod Urban District Council: 1941-42 (Independent)
Born: St Helens, Lancashire 1887
Educated: Sutton C of E School; Chester Diocesan College
Headmaster of Scot Lane School, Blackrod, from 1923 when he arrived in the town.
Was a pupil at Sutton C of E School and later a pupil teacher there. Before coming to Blackrod he was Senior Assistant at Bolton Road School, Atherton for 14 years.
He was first elected to Blackrod UDC in 1937.
Chairman of the Finance Committee.
Secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers and President of the Wigan Association of the National Union of Teachers.
Teachers' representative on the Safety First Committee.
Member of Bolton Deanery Missionary Committee and Blackrod Old Folks Treats Committee.
He enjoyed gardening, cricket, football and bowling.
Anglican - he was a Diocesan lay reader from 1915 and played a leading part in Church life. He worked for the Girls Friendly Society and received a medal from the Bishop of Manchester in recognition of his long service.