Chairman of Horwich Urban District Council: 1903-05 (Conservative)
Born: Horwich 1862
Died: 55 Victoria Road, Horwich, 17 October 1929
He was apprenticed to his father, a stonemason, but did not take to the trade and started his own business as a coal merchant.
Represented North Ward from 1897 until his retirement in 1910.
His main achievement was in connection with the town's water supply, notably the building of Marklands Reservoir and the water rights of 95 acres of the Wildersmoor Estate and he spent three years full time working on this scheme. The reservoir was formally opened at a public ceremony on 19 October 1907.
He was an active worker for the Conservative Party and was involved in the building of the Conservative Club of which he was a Vice President.
In his younger days he was a keen sportsman.
He was buried at Horwich Parish Church.