Rev George Worsley Coleman
Chairman of Blackrod Urban District Council: 1907-10
Born: Water Stratford, Buckinghamshire 10 February 1851
Died: 6 February 1912
Educated: Jesus College, Cambridge
His first curacy from 1874 to 1876 was at Helidon, Northamptonshire. He was then curate at Adlington from 1877 to 1882 before moving to Great Marsden as Vicar, where he remained until 1893. From 1893 for seven years he was Vicar of St Augustine's, Tonge Moor, Bolton. In 1900 he became Vicar of St Katharine's Church, Blackrod, preaching his first sermon on the first Sunday in Advent in that year.
From then on he was a prominent figure in the life of the village.
Member of the local Education Committee at Wigan.
Vice Chairman of the Council at the time of his death.
He took a very active part in the restoration of the Parish Church, the work being completed in July 1911.
A stained glass window in his memory was unveiled in the Church on 2 May 1914.
His eldest son, the Rev Leonard Worsley Coleman, was the curate of Beeston Hill, Leeds for seven years.
His second son, Captain Alan Fraser Coleman, served in France during the First World War before returning to civilian life. He was killed, alongside his wife Edith, on 18 June 1944 while attending a church service at the Guards Chapel, Wellington Barracks, London, when the building was almost completely destroyed by a V-1 'Flying Bomb'. A total of 121 soldiers and civilians lost their lives and a further 141 seriously injured in the explosion.
His grandson, David Worsley Coleman (son of Leonard), died while serving as a Second Lieutenant with 6 Bn. Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) in Normandy, France on 15 July 1944.