Chairman of Blackrod Urban District Council: 1910-16, 1938-39, 1946-47 (Liberal)
Born: Westhougton 1869
Died: Sibbering's Farm Cottage, Blackrod 15 Jan 1956
Educated: Blackrod National School
Grocer, provision dealer and coal agent.
Began work as an office boy at the Anderton Hall Colliery Company, working his way up to 'a responsible position' at the Chorley office.
Co-founded the Blackrod Manufacturing Company, providing employment for women in the area.
Councillor from 1902-19 (with a gap in 1906-07), 1938-49. Magistrate from 1915-42.
Chairman of General Purposes Committee.
He resigned from the Council in 1919 to become Chairman of the Higher Education Committee.
Council representative on the Fall Birch Hospital Committee.
Member of the Board of Management of Blackrod Council School, Rivington and Blackrod School Governors, Wigan Area Employment Committee, Regional Town Planning Committee for the Wigan Area and the Blackrod ARP Committee.
School Attendance Officer.
Member of the Probation Committee and an official visitor to HM Prisons.
Wesleyan Methodist - he was associated with Blackrod Wesleyan Methodist Church and Sunday School from the age of four. Described as 'an earnest temperance reformer' he also served as a Local Preacher, Treasurer to the Chapel Trustees and Wigan Circuit representative on the District Synod.