Chairman of Turton Local Board: 1892-95 (Independent)
Chairman of Turton Urban District Council: 1908-24
Born: Turton 9 May 1846
Died: 11 August 1924
Last Chairman of Turton Local Board.
Land agent and surveyor, Windy Harbour (originally Windy Arbour), Bromley Cross.
Nephew of Edmund Ashworth.
Represented Eagley Ward from 1888 until his death.
Chairman of the Sanitary and Highways Committee.
Chairman of Finance Committee.
Chairman of the first Electricity Committee.
Chairman of the Parliamentary Committee.
Chairman of the Local Tribunal and the Food Committee during the First World War.
Trustee of the Humphrey Chetham Charity, Abigail Chetham's Charity and the Old School at Chapeltown Charity.
A memorial tablet to him was installed in Turton Council Chamber and unveiled by Sir Henry Hibbert, Chairman of Lancashire County Council, on 14 May 1925. The inscription read:
"Robert Ashworth 1846-1924. In honour of 36 years public service 1888-1924."
The design also included the Ashworth motto "Garde Ta Bien Aimée" - "Guard Thy Well Beloved."