George Harry Ashworth
Chairman of Turton Urban District Council: 1924-26, 1940-41, 1944-45 (Independent)
Born: Oaks Hall, Turton 14 May 1865
Died: Birtenshaw, Turton 30 January 1954
Educated: Eton College, Buckinghamshire; New College, Oxford
Grandson of Henry Ashworth (1794-1880) and grandnephew of Edmund Ashworth.
Gained MA at Oxford and entered the family firm of Henry Ashworth & Sons, Eagley Mills, Turton in 1888.
Elected to Turton Urban District Council in 1891, serving a total of 63 years. Represented Bromley Cross Ward.
Chairman of the Education and Finance Committees before becoming Chairman of the Highways Committee in 1897 - a position he retained until his death.
Was also a member of Lancashire County Council for 43 years from 1910, eventually becoming an Alderman.
He was the first Chairman to wear the Chain of Office, it being presented to him on 4 March 1926 by Sydney Harold Spring (in the absence of Colonel E W Gregg, the senior member of the Council, who was unable to attend through ill health.)
County Magistrate 1915.
He was a keen tennis player and still "enjoyed a dance when approaching 80 years of age."
With his brother, Arthur Henwayn Ashworth, he made a gift to Turton which helped to establish the Museum at Turton Tower. He also produced a pamphlet on Turton Tower at his own expense and published an illustrated book of 'excursions into the surrounding district' called "Trips Worth Trying" - "the result of some 60 years spent under the Vagrancy Act... travelling here and there, mostly foot-slogging" which was presented to each member and official of the Council.